Our vision for sport at Chudleigh CE VC Community Primary School:
It is our aim to inspire and promote the lifelong health and well-being of all children in our school. We will achieve this through the development of key skills and enjoyment, engagement and participation in high quality P.E. lessons, competitive and non-competitive sports and physical activity.
Sport and physical activity is prevalent throughout Chudleigh CE VC Community Primary School and is considered by all to be a vital part of a child’s development; physically, academically and socially.
In Key Stage 1, all children participate in, and receive at least 2 hours of high quality physical education a week which includes the following:
- Mastering fundamental movement skills which include running, jumping, throwing and catching as well as core strength, balance, agility and coordination, and being able to apply these in a range of gymnastic, games or dance type activities and situations.
- Participating in team games and developing simple tactics for attacking and defending.
- Performing dances using simple movement patterns.
In Key Stage 2, all children participate in, and receive at least 2 hours of high quality physical education a week which includes the following:
- Developing the skills of running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination.
- Playing competitive games and appyling basic principles;
- For attacking and defending (For example through, football, netball, basketball and tag rugby).
- For striking and fielding (for example through rounders, cricket and Dartmoor 3 ball).
- For net/wall games (for example through tennis and badminton).
- Developing strength, flexibility, technique, control and balance (for example through gymnastics and athletics).
- Performing dances using a range of movement patterns.
- Swimming competently, confidently and proficiently, using strokes effectively
- Taking part in outdoor and adventurous activities (OAA) and challenges both individually and in a team.
In addition to the weekly P.E. lessons, children are given many opportunities throughout the school year to participate in an extensive range of extra-curricular activities which include competitive and friendly fixtures with other schools, festivals, tournaments and competitions.
We are also fortunate that the school has access to several different sporting facilities which we are able to use to enhance the teaching of our P.E. lessons and other physical activities: the on-site swimming pool, a MUGA, basketball/netball court, extensive school field with football pitches and the large school hall for indoor activities.