Modern Foreign Languages
Languages are now taught in schools from Year 3. The National Curriculum for Languages aims to ensure that children -
- Can understand and respond to spoken and written language
- Can speak the new language with increasing confidence
- Can write at varying lengths for different purposes and audiences
At Chudleigh School we teach French from Year 3.
In Years 3 and 4, the children will be working on skills and processes such as these below –
- Listen and engage
- Ask and answer questions
- Speak in sentences using familiar vocabulary
- Develop appropriate pronunciation
- Show an understanding of words and phrases
- Appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes
- Broaden vocabulary
In Years 5 and 6 these are developed further, as well as -
- Understanding basic grammar eg gender
- Describing people, places and things
- Presenting ideas and information orally
- Showing understanding in simple reading.
We are supported by, and liaise with Teign School Languages Staff as well as using programs and a variety of resources to teach French to the children.