English makes a principal contribution to the key skills of communication and therefore provides a gateway to all other learning. Developing these skills, is at the core of everything we do at Chudleigh Primary School.
We want all pupils to:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- be competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate
Through our enquiry based curriculum there are many opportunities to apply our knowledge and skills in reading, writing and speaking and listening. In both discrete English sessions and through their enquiries, children are encouraged to write for many different, and often real purposes, across a range of genres.